Monday, September 21, 2009

How Does He Love Me? Let Me Count the Ways.....

My husband and I have been together for 23 years, and in a lot of ways we are polar opposites. He is not a demonstrative person, in thought or action, but once in a while he catches me by surprise and makes my heart melt.

Like when he bought a huge bouquet of purple flowers for our anniversary, and said, "as soon as I saw these I didn't look any further, because these were perfect for you"


A few weeks ago, I was having some serious internal struggles. I will share the fact that I have a mental illness, which I can usually keep under control with the aid of meds. But, about a month ago, I had the coincidence of two triggering events taking place in my life, plus the fact that I forgot my meds a few mornings. It often puzzles folks why "we" stop taking them, when we know it will cause a relapse. But, we forget a few times, the level in our system decreases, and the more it decreases, the more we say to hell with it and stop taking them intentionally. Its a vicious circle.

I shared with him that I was getting "antsy", that I had to stop this before it got out of control, and that I was needing additional help. When I stop the meds, he, and everyone, gets frustrated, because they don't understand. With him, the frustration comes out as anger, which in turn, in I interpret as lack of care.

I have regained control over my emotions & impulses, with help, and for the last few days he has been asking in the moring...did you take your pills? This morning, when I stepped into my office after he'd gone to work, I saw this on my bulletin board"


Its little things like that mean so much.

8 comments:

  1. what a great love....and 23 years anymore is like a 100 since the divorce rate is soooo high.....

    {and no....it wasn't me for the scrapbook jump challenge....but I'd love to see the entries if you have a link}

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing better that having a good person looking out for you. Have many more, happy anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he cares in so many wonderful ways...what a blessing, and beautiful bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet...you're right...people show they care about us in differnt ways. about 10 years ago I had an autoimmume illness and I would space out and not know that I was in a lot of pain. Somehow I would ask my husband for help and he would get my meds straightened out. I trust him so much to take care of me. Glad you were able to regain your footing quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohwww what a lovely bouquet. Great colors they are YOU. And it's tooooo sweet he hang up that note. It'll turn out all for the best....hang in there sweetie. Love you lots. Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this man sounds fabulous! In all the ways you want someone there for you (and the flowers are pretty gorgeous, too.) One step at a time, my friend, and you can walk miles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you find the perfect mate, or what! Life's so worthwhile when we appreciate our loved ones and he obviously appreciates you. So do I. Your honesty is a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! Sounds like you two are a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete